And before you think, “Why is this crazy girl bothering with such a project”… well hey, to each her own! Like I said in my previous post, Developing a project of one’s own: Manga Downloader, I started with this project with just my convenience in my mind. Hence the logic is not really universally applicable, it’s just a tool for me right now when my internet speed sucks.
Let’s take a look at the extremely unattractive and utilitarian prototype Downloader and how it currently works:
First of all I need to launch the .jar file from command prompt:
This launches the GUI interface of my downloader:
What I need next is the url of the first image, and the number of pages that chapter possesses. For that purpose I first have to go to the manga hosting site (let’s go with MangaFox for now):
From the mangafox page we get two values: the total number of pages (highlighted in red), and the link to first image.
Then we open the image in a new tab to verify the underlying theory behind my prototype: that the image is of the form “pageNumber.extension”
In the above case, it IS true. So I copy the url in the address bar, and the number of pages, into my Downloader and hit submit. As the download progresses, I know exactly which page is being downloaded, in the Status area.
And when all’s done, I simply get the message – “Downloaded” in my status.
After the download is over, all the images can be found in the download location:
So far, it’s been working okay. But often, I hit snags such as credit pages which do NOT come in the “pagenumber.extension” form. In those cases I have to “fast-forward” a couple of pages to determine the naming convention of that chapter and then enter the URL in the Downloader – which defeats the purpose of building it (i.e. to avoid surfing through the manga hosting sites as much as possible.
So my next short-term goal is to figure out how to circumvent this problem. That’s it for now, I’ll come up with the next update on this project next week!
- Manga Eden (programmableweb.com)