Last week I’d set a short term agenda in order to make the manga downloader user-friendly and remove errors present, and now I’m thrilled to state that I think I did it 😀 But I had to sacrifice one thing to achieve that – the manga downloader is no longer a universal downloader but one that would work only with MangaFox. But the happy news is that it is easy to update and I can add other sites to it later on!
So what’s different about this version of downloader, MangaFox Ripper?
1. You no longer have to open the first chapter and let the image load, and then acquire the image’s url. Nope, if you get the chapter’s url, it is definitely enough!
2. You no longer need to enter the no. of pages in the chapter (for which you would have had to open the first chapter too). MangaFox Ripper can figure out the no. of pages if you just input the chapter URL.
3. MangaFox Ripper is more intelligent. If you input an page’s url that is not from the first page but somewhere in the middle, it will just download the pages till the last chapter and will not download the pages preceding the entered one. This means if somehow an earlier download had been interrupted you can simply continue from where you’d left.
4. Hierarchical folder system – MangaFox Ripper can intelligently determine the manga’s name and chapter number, and can store the downloaded images in systematic order.
So let’s take a look at this newer version:
Save the application in the location you want your images to be downloaded (e.g. your Downloads folder)
Like before, you have to launch the application from command line from the location where you’ve stored the application (you may want to take a look at the previous post A Peek into the Manga Downloader Project for a more detailed explanation regarding how you do that)
The command is different since the jar name is different, so you go
java.exe -jar MangaFoxRipper.jar
You then need to get the chapter’s URL; it doesn’t matter from where. You can search for the manga and then get the URL from the manga’s page in MangaFox
In my opinion, you can make the most of this program if you keep bookmarks in Mangafox so that you can keep tabs on the releases and download the new chapters as they come without navigating to the chapter.
After acquiring the chapter’s url, all you need is to enter it in the MangaFox Ripper.
After you click on submit, MangaFox Ripper automatically figures out the no. of pages it has to download and starts downloading.
After the download is over, it flashes the message in it’s status.
Once the download is over, you can click on “open” to go to the download location, and see the manga images stored in proper hierarchy.
It now no longer matters how the images are named; if they show up on the site, they will get downloaded.
So I think I did it… The MangaFox Ripper is ready to roll! *Does a happy jig*
Now I can say what I’ve ALWAYS wanted to… which is…
I NEED BETA TESTERS! ARE YOU INTERESTED??!! *grin* 😀
- Developing a project of one’s own: Manga Downloader (bakshree.wordpress.com)
- 17 Aug 13 update – A peek into the Manga Downloader Project (bakshree.wordpress.com)